Wednesday, July 17, 2013

winter

It's cold in South Africa.


I was certainly warned by several natives before I left, but I was like "nah, I'm from Colorado." True, the average temperatures have been within a range of 12-18 C (roughly 54-66 F; still trying to get used to celsius and the metric system in general), but it does get rather windy and brisky. Well, considering we are not all too far from the coast, it is understandably so. On the other hand, I'm a bit surprised to find that the Western Cape is not nearly as humid as I thought it'd be; you don't necessarily feel the humidity like you would in the American south, but overnight there may be a good layer of visible dew on your windows. Yet, it is still humid enough where bathing and dish towels do not ever fully dry after they become wet.

Overall, however, I'd say winter here is certainly tolerable. I'd easily compare the majority of the days to an average Coloradoan spring day (when it's a bit more wet outside), or even a fall evening  (when the heat comes out). If anything, it is our flat complex that does not have a central heating system, so the majority of our rooms are ice cold. I've never been more thankful for a space heater in my life. There have been many of days that the inside of our rooms are freezing while it is a beautiful sunny, 65 degree day. All the more reason to get our of our rooms.


What has been sustaining me is tea! My roommie and I are a bit of addicts, and we tried some tea biscuits they provided us with and have been hooked since. These things are dangerous stuff. We have quality tea times a good 2-3 times a day. With my rooibos, DECA blanket, and some good music, I'm set.

1 comment:

  1. You are blessed because it's rather warm (84 degrees), than it gets hot (98 degrees)in Colorado these days. I wish I had the cool days.

    ReplyDelete

If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)