Friday, November 22, 2013

go see the world

Hermanus Bay, the most memorable view while in South Africa.
In the past two weeks I've been working on a fun little personal project. I decided to turn iPhonography into a bit of iPh(ilm)ography to properly document my 4+ months in Cape Town. I started going around filming little spinets of my daily life and all the people I encountered when I wanted to find a way to take it all home with me and relive it again. Of course, none of this footage can replace the actual experiences and memories I hold, but this is a little treasure in itself. This blog, too, will help to remember and reflect on every part of my journey in South Africa. Nevertheless, below you'll find the culmination of people-watching and living out incredible stories while studying abroad.

One of my favorite singer/songwriters, Brooke Fraser, has written "Now that I have seen, I am responsible." I have come to the conclusion that I don't think responsibility requires bearing the burdens of others. I also don't think it merely involves telling a story; rather, responsible individuals find ways to respond to what they've seen.

I have been graciously blessed by this experience and I couldn't be more grateful for all of these memories. While getting to see some of the most beautiful views in the world I've also been able to engage with new perspectives, to witness the action of genuine hearts, to use my abilities to support others, and to expand myself in ways I wouldn't have imagined. It is in all of these things that I find my responsibility; to bring back the love and humility I've encountered while not forsaking the realities of the hardships I have seen. 

I encourage you all to go and see the world with the same lens--if even for vacation, study/research, missions, etc.--engage with a world bigger than your own keeping all of your senses keen to learn, understand, grow, and experience.

Though leaving Cape Town was certainly bittersweet, I'm hoping for greater things to come in the future. I'll finish this last post with what I mentioned in the very first: Here's to those days to come--to the expected and the unexpected.

Cheers to you Cape Town.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)