Those who have been keeping up with this blog will know I've mentioned the Y numerous times before, but it's about time there was a post dedicated to this incredible group of people.
I knew coming to Cape Town I wanted to find a campus ministry to join, and the Student Y quickly became that home.
I actually first encountered them during the second week while sitting on the Jammie steps getting some classic people watching in and wondered what was going on with the crowd of people around a make-shift bedroom set. I even mentioned it in this older post. From what I remember the set up lasted for two days but oddly enough I remember walking past it a couple of times without even seeing what all the commotion was about.
I actually first encountered them during the second week while sitting on the Jammie steps getting some classic people watching in and wondered what was going on with the crowd of people around a make-shift bedroom set. I even mentioned it in this older post. From what I remember the set up lasted for two days but oddly enough I remember walking past it a couple of times without even seeing what all the commotion was about.
I finally stopped by the post on the second day on my way to my final lecture and took a moment to see what it was all about. When I read the sign "Why did you get out of bed this morning?" I had an inkling that this was some sort of campus ministry and I decided that I liked them already because of their creativity. Though it was a way to introduce people to the Y for the semester, but even more, the display really encouraged people to start an honest discussion. And I loved that focus from the start.
| Again, take some time to read these responses, some are so funny. |
So I spoke to a girl about how the Y functioned and whatnot, and she gave me details for their Friday meetings at the Y Hall. I remember her saying to get there you walk down the main Jammie steps (of Upper campus) and through the tunnel to arrive in Middle campus.
The second you reach the end of the tunnel you are sure to see "a building with feet on top of it, you can't miss it." It's funny because that's exactly how it was described and though I had walked the path several times before, I never noticed any feet of any sort. Welp, "you can't miss it" is really a bit of an understatement. It's incredible that I never saw it emerging from the tunnel before, which really goes to show that you miss the big picture when you walk with tunnel vision (quite literally).
The Y itself is not just a building, however. It's more of a small community of offices and houses just outside of campus and a quick 5 minute walk down into town. The building with the feet seen above is the Y office, a place where you can pop in at any point during the day and between your classes for some tea, coffee, and welcoming faces. Behind it are some more staff offices, the Y Hall, and even a backyard with a tire swing, large fire pit, tree house (I'd never dare to even try), and a trampoline.
But even with all this, my most favorite place the kitchen connected to the main Hall. At least for me, it was the place where you really become part of what the community truly embodied, demonstrating love while serving one another. After Hub meetings on Friday night you'd find students volunteering to clean up following the evening supper or during the weekdays you'd find someone in here washing up the mugs to refill the trays for the main office. If there was a need anyone was willing to give their time to meet it without a second thought, and I loved seeing that in each and every person. You didn't need to be a leader to serve, service was just an unspoken action. I also got to spend some time with some awesome people while taking part, so many great laughs and friendships were built at this very spot. So simple, but such a great impact.
On my very first visit to Hub that evening a bunch of us ended up heading over to Cocoa Wah Wah for a late night bite to eat. I invited the rooms to come soon after and it was so great to have someone to experience all of this with me! We have gotten to meet some incredible people and every now and then I tried to document all of our good times. Here are a few that have or have not already been seen on the blog.
![]() |
![]() |
| Did I mention Janelle is super creative, a master poet, and has a blog too!? Loved our tea times and she always hosted great dinner/movie/game nights! |
| Bunch of the guys live in this house and throw some awesome braais. Simunye means "we are one," and it's a perfect representation of what I've experienced here. |
| At our farwell celebration! |
| This awesome woman did me the honor of dropping me off on my last day. Couldn't have been better. |
The day I came across the sign asking "Why did you get up this morning?" I actually never wrote on the post because I only wanted to answer with honesty. I wanted to respond truthfully about why I had gotten up that specific day, but defined words could not come to mind. I sat in Hub many nights thereafter while the large sign sat in the corner of the Hall while we went about our business still thinking about my answer on each particular day. Though I never wrote a response on the board, I am glad I've had the time to think and respond in the best way possible. I can honestly say that I wake up each morning with an intent to encounter love here on this Earth and see it manifest through people. I have been so blessed to have encountered this in action being a member of the Y family and I hope to bring back some of this with me back home. Love you guys and until we meet again!





No comments:
Post a Comment
If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)