Sunday, August 18, 2013

Lessons - Session 5


1. I've got a small, local coffee shop in town that is my go-to study place, Vive e Cafe, and I am on a first name basis with all of the baristas. It is a dream come true. The guys who work there are hilarious (though loud haha).

2.  It's amazing how the very thing you think should be pronounced a certain way (your name) is not always as it seems. For example, met this guy named Grant and us Americans say 'Gr-ant,' whereas he pronounces it almost Gr-aunt (give your best British/South African imitation my friends). 'Gr-ant' is what we naturally regurgitate back to him, but that's not similar by any means! Tried to pronounce it as 'Gr-aunt' a few times and he says I should still with my American accent.

3. Most people who do not work in tourist-y areas do not know what napkins are; they are referred to as serviettes.

4. I was trying to describe a girl I had met to a local friend of mine and he asked if she was "plump" with the most serious face. We might see this as a term that is offensive, but here it's not a bad thing at all. Just a description no different than black, white, or coloured. Still getting used to everyone's frankness.

5. I got on a Jammie with a bunch of the old, mean ladies who use the shuttle bus early one morning. They spoke their native language and were hollering and laughing real loud, then suddenly the bus driver stops in the middle of the road and turns around to shout at them. Threatened to have them banned from the bus (yes!) if they continue the behavior. They laughed at him and got off. Don't know what they were saying, but they abuse these poor guys.

6. Spent an entire day last weekend all by myself hopping from different places studying, and it was one of my favorite days (among many) since I've been here.

7. My roommate and I have some West African friends (Nigerians and a Kenyan) we've made that live in the Nest (our flat complex). Had them over for dinner and put together an "American" meal (soft tacos--hence the quotes) that really turned out to be burritos. None of them had even heard of a burrito, much less tortillas or guacamole. They prepared some West African dishes later on and we are on our way to becoming "thick." Hooray.

Have a good week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)