Friday, August 2, 2013

the university

It's about time I gave mention to the purpose behind my stay here in Cape Town... to study! The University of Cape Town, first off, is beautiful to say the least. It's stunning really. As previously mentioned, it's nested at the foot of a mountain called Devil's Peak. But when I say the foot of a mountain that doesn't mean it's just a flat surface right before the mountain begins its incline--all of main campus is a serious incline. Of the main campus there are three parts; lower, middle, and upper campus.


Our residence is even further east (down) than lower campus, so luckily the university operates a bus system called the Jammie Shuttle. From my residency to the top of upper campus takes a good 10 minutes of shuttle time, however if you were to choose to walk from home to upper campus that'd be at least 40 minutes (considering you were fit enough to endure the incline). Even then, just walking from the bottom part of upper campus to its highest point is a struggle! For real. I've noticed after four weeks of classes I can now book it up flights upon flights of stairs without stopping, but once I stop I'm about ready to drop. At least I get a good workout while in school! 


Up above is the hub of campus called the Jammie Plaza. The building that famously represents UCT is called Jamison, and that's where we get the name Jammie. This is the prime spot for students to sit down on the steps to eat lunch, catch up with friends, and, of course, people watch. This place is so perfect for me because (especially when you are sitting by yourself, which is not rare or anything) you can shamelessly watch the people walking by or sitting around you and you know they are doing the same. Everyone just kind of observes everything, or just looks out to the beautiful view across and ponder life, and it is entirely acceptable to sit and watch. 

They also hold something called Jammie Thursdays on the day every week in which a student society arranges for a special event to take place. They can be performances of any kind, skits, or even open talks and talents. They are actually setting up for Jammie Thursday on the plaza in the picture above. It takes place at what they call 'meridian' each Thursday which is like the official lunch hour on campus at 1 pm (or 13:00 H as I am learning to recognize). Lectures normally are not scheduled during meridian, but unfortunately I signed up for a mandatory lab at that hour so I will miss each event. I heard the one above ended up being a poetry slam. So much disappointment.

Commemorating Rhodes. The actual Rhodes Memorial is nearby on Devil's Peak. 
Student life on campus is so different from the States, yet you understandably see the same kind of micro-level social interactions on a day to day basis. One thing that has been a breathe of fresh air has been the fashion sense here at UCT. The students here love to look good, but without the negative connotation of having to try to look good. They just all look good, every shape and style just works. Many hipsters/indie, bohemians, preps, and professional types. The only thing that we've been warned no one would ever be caught wearing (especially girls) are gym shorts and tennis shoes. You'd only wear that when you are working out, not going about daily affairs. I believe the thought goes back to history in that universities are institutions of higher education and, accordingly, higher education is privilege so you ought to look your best.

It's crazy though because my friends and I have noticed that with all the bold statements that are so regular here, no one ever judges someone else for what they're wearing. I don't think you could have a bad hair day or feel self-conscious about your appearance because, perhaps, nobody actually cares. And maybe it should be that way.


And finally, when it comes to academics, this place is no joke. There is a reason why this is the number one school on the continent of Africa (though that may not have much merit to those with pre-conceived notions of Africa) and within the top 150 universities in the world. At UCT (and a good amount of European-based education systems I believe) the grading/mark scale is much different than America. Getting a 68 on a paper in the States would be fairly close to a failure, whereas at UCT is would be within the second tier of grades. A minimum of 75% makes up what they call 'first,' then from 70-74% in many classes would be ranked within the 'upper second.' Lower second is a 65-69 if I remember correctly, and then two more blocks below that. Anything lower than a 50% is failing, whereas at DU you will not receive credit for anything lower than a 70%. Still, a 75% being considered the top tier makes it a bit nerve-wrecking because the final examination is oftentimes worth 50-75% of your overall mark.

At the end of the year they post course marks on faculty notice boards--with full names of each student--for all to see. We got to see the remainders left on notice boards during our orientation week and I remember seeing a class list of about fifty students. Of the fifty, I saw four grades within the 80s , maybe fifteen within the 70s, and the rest were 60s and below. There were even about five grades within the 30s. No 90s were to be seen, and the highest grade on the board was an 83. Eep.

Small tagged underground tunnel that connects Upper campus with Middle Campus.
I am taking three courses here while abroad, which is unbelievable because the same amount of courses as DU would be 12 credit hours (quarter system, my friends), the absolute minimum to be a full time student. And our maximum allowance before you'd have to pay for extra credit is 18 hours. Due to the difficulty of some of my courses I am earning 25.5 equivalence in quarter credit without paying extra. Like what?! 

My first course is a 3000 level Statistics class that is an equivalency for the business school back home, so I'm glad to get that out of the way. 3000 level classes are taken in your 3rd year at UCT, and 3rd year students are considered seniors because here the 4th year is an optional 'honors' year if you'd like to graduate with such honors. So all of these students are gearing up to get out of here soon, but it's so great to see how the environment is so different with seniors than other students. Yes, this class is difficult and will require a great deal of studying but our convener, or lecturer, is so great. Articulate and sassy, but she is perfect for the job. My next class is a 1000 level Gender class that I am earning basic elective credit for--easy enough and very conversational during lecture so not much mind-grinding required. A good balance after my morning Stats class. The convener's name is Dr. Africa, and this woman is so great. With a name like that, you can't go wrong. My third class is a 2000 level Media course, and it is much more than I expected. I am also getting course-specific credit for this as this is an equivalent 'society' requirement for common curriculum so I thought I may as well push through it and make an efficient use of my time.


Yet, though I am only enrolled in three classes they each come with a weekly lab called a tutorial, or 'tut' for short. On top of school, volunteering, homework and eating (takes time!) my week days become long and tiring. But it's all good. Now back to an essay I should've started writing days ago. See ya Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)