Thursday, July 25, 2013
african time
African time was one of the first things we were warned about during the pre-departure sessions in preparation for our travels abroad. It has also been something I was acquainted with growing up and attending cultural functions with family-friends. Stereotypically, "African time" is always a bit delayed. We were informed that we should not ever try showing up to a party on time, especially a braai (bbq), and expect anyone to be there--let alone any of the food be prepared. We also ought not become offended when we make an appointment with a professor who decides to show up half an hour late.
Fortunately in the university setting African time does not take into effect as much as I had anxiously anticipated. Classes start not a minute behind schedule and get out no more than a minute before or after scheduled. My professors have even relayed the actual date and time that material will be posted online pretty accurately. From what I've seen these past few weeks, seems as though African time really does take into effect within social contexts rather than more professional ones (but it's still early in the game, right?).
There is some terminology, however, that South Africans use to express their timeliness. We covered a lot of these expressions during orientation, and I always laugh when I hear locals use it because they really do!
1. Anything like sometime to soon is fairly loose terminology on a time table. It pretty much means "whenever I get to it." From what we have been told, it could be a week's worth of time (or more) on the priority list.
2. Just now is a little bit more concrete, meaning that there is priority for action, but that honestly could be within a couple hours to the next couple of days.
2. Now now is the most absolute for "urgent" activities. I've heard this during situations like registration, going to the bank, and general customer service around town. However, as immediate as the response may seem, it is still not urgent enough to drop whatever you are doing and complete the task; they will finish what they are doing first, then move on to help you (be it 5 minutes or an hour).
Lately, I've caught myself saying "soon soon," which actually doesn't make much sense. But it rolls off the tongue. I also say "good good" when someone asks me how I'm doing... what? Hoping this is just a phase.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)