Wednesday, July 10, 2013

the one with the food

One of the best parts of Cape Town: FOOD

The food has been so good! I'd definitely say there is quite a bit of Western influence, but you still get a good take on a common item prepared in a different way. There are a good amount of burger joints as well as Asian, Mexican, Italian, and Mediterranean cuisine. There are even numerous froyo places for all of my college buddies out there.

My very first meal in South Africa is below, and honestly has been one of my favorites since arriving! It was at a popular hangout spot in my area--Cocoa Wah Wah--for both locals and international students as many of us are housed throughout town near one of the main streets (ironically enough) called Main Road. There is also free wifi so that'll most likely be my new residence when I am cutting it close to my wi-fi allowance in my flat.


Cocoa Wah Wah
Though my roommate and I have gotten a bit of groceries so we can cook more often at home, a lot of our dinners have been out over the last week. Can't expect much else during the first bit as all of us on the program are getting to know each other, but my morning breakfast time has become an enjoyable routine. And though I'm passed any jet-lag, I'm still waking up around 6 a.m. on average each morning so the hunger settles in quickly. Fortunately, Interstudy stocked our fridge with some easy items to get by the first few days. With those items and my instant oatmeal I've been set.


I'm also getting to try my hand at cooking dinner! Love getting to get fresh veggies from the market to put together something easy and fresh.


Up next is a local favorite event, a Braai. Just about every tour guide, orientation leader, or native South African giving us the low-down about SA life will tell us about a braai. Braai's are similar to the American barbeque, but it does not simply refer to the food itself, it is in the event in itself much like attending a bbq. I've been to two braai's so far, and we've had steak, chicken, and lots of sausage. Side dishes are always pretty good too. Though it seems like a simple little bbq, South Africans take their braai's pretty seriously. I mentioned an invitation to a braai several days ago to my roommate while we were in public and two ladies standing near us shot a quick, serious glance. It got real up in there.


Even better, we've had the opportunity to visit a popular destination for both foreigners and locals alike, a "neighborGoods" market called Old Biscuit Mill, as seen below. Let me just say, this place is awesome--it's probably the hipster den of South Africa. They've got authentic food of different cultures made by local providers and stores for things like pottery, modern art, jewelry, clothes, and live music outside. There were a good two or three dozen vendors to choose from for food, and even with so many options the place was still PACKED. Old Biscuit Mill is only open Saturday mornings til after three in the afternoon and from what I hear each weekend is always a crazy turnout. You can never go wrong.








And the fudge. Need I say more?

The best part of it all is that the food here is so inexpensive (which might actually be worse because that comes with the risk of overspending with each little transaction). The dollar is very strong compared to the South African rand; a full, hearty dinner might cost right around $7.50 on average. Good food, good prices. Cape Town you're doing me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)