Sunday, July 7, 2013

ambassadors

On the 5th of July we also had the opportunity to visit a nearby township in Langa. Townships were originally created during Apartheid when coloureds and blacks were removed from their homes and communities to make way for white communities and were given new barren land to reside in. Some of the townships are quite different than one might expect; a group of apartments like the ones seen in the first picture below can be found next door to the more stereotypical tin shacks that many often associate with lower-income Africa.


I was very wary to take pictures of this community because of the stigma associated with touring these neighborhoods for the sake of that Facebook-worthy-photo-op with an African child. I was surprised, however, that this issue was clearly addressed by the community. They recognize that seeing a poor African child starving of malnutrition on the television back home is certainly solemn to Americans, but there is a shift in realization when you are physically standing face to face with one of these beautiful individuals as they grab your hand to play a game with you. If anything, however, the community also wants us to know that though they have suffered much, they still live in a manner defined by hope. When it comes down to it, each foreigner who walks these streets are ambassadors for a different kind of reality that doesn't involve university lectures, netflix, shiny Nike's, or stereo speakers. Like one of my favorite artists has written and I probably repeat too often, "Now that I have seen, I am responsible."



I can also confidently say that I have never felt more safe and secure in a community here in South Africa as I did when I walked down these streets. Though some townships are not clearly as safe, Langa is one of many that has next to no violent crime because each member considers themselves family. 

Children roamed the streets unsupervised and were jubilant to see us arrive in town. I got schooled by these young ladies in jump rope, I couldn't even turn the rope nearly as fast as them or keep up with their standards. 




Daniel, a member from my program and university, taught this sweet girl how to flip a coin. About 15 minutes later I saw her again as she continued to try to flip and catch it with a huge smile on her face.
I have such respect for this township because they have high morals in not simply accepting hand-outs or acting as beggars on the street. Many of these residents do own cars (something I was very shocked to see) and all of the members, both young and old, were dressed very well. Langa is considered an independent sustainable community because whenever someone has an idea for a business model they receive the help to get it started and then put their skills to practice. Bringing in tourism is widely accepted for this community because it further gives the opportunity to earn money on one's own account to provide for his/her family.





One of my biggest issues with this visit, however, was leaving. We were only able to stay for just over an hour or so, and it seemed wrong to me that this hello and goodbye nature of visiting had to be a part of their routine lives. I plan on going back to visit this community in particular soon. One of the largest unions (clubs) at the University of Cape Town is SHAWCO, a community service organization. Many of us from Interstudy plan on joining the group for service, and I expect these visits and other opportunities to be a major part of our experience in SA. 

"Now that I have seen, I am responsible. Faith without deeds is dead. Now that I have held you, in my own arms, I cannot let go til you are.." ~ Brooke Fraser

2 comments:

  1. Wished you had sound to the dance moves by the kids. Great writing. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a video with sound and a smooth capture, however my internet connection is not able to let me upload it at the moment so it looks like it was converted into a GIF piece. I will try again once I am able to access smooth wifi!

      Delete

If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)