Sunday, July 14, 2013

lessons - session 1

UCT international orientation included a drum session with 300+ students. So awesome.
 1. The "clicking language" spoken here is xhosa, pronounced toe-sa (with a distinct click in the 't'). It is one of South Africa's eleven official languages. Love the diversity.

2. There are no speed limits in Cape Town. Well, maybe, though I have not even seen a speed limit sign since I've gotten here. And I honestly have never seen vehicles--including large buses--move so quickly in my life. Even more, I am yet to see all but one driving accident, but this said car hit a pole, not another vehicle.

3. Smiling at strangers is not a common behavior, you will get unwanted attention. This ain't Colorado no more.

4. Those still learning to speak English are more familiar with the term "Americans" than the "United States." Still not sure about this one.

5. Africans are willing to talk about race, especially with black Americans. Such a different view from all sides; I've had a number of deep, fundamental conversations already in the first two weeks.

6. If you are a "Zim," you are from Zimbabwe.

7. I trust white vans (mini-buses) more than I do colored vans. We hop in them all the time...more on this topic later.

May or may not be able to post as frequently once classes start tomorrow, so I'll make sure to post a weekly list of seven lessons or random items from my week. 
Hopefully I'll make this a blogging minimum.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)