Thursday, October 3, 2013

celebrate good times

Last Saturday was the Y Formal, an end of the year banquet/dance held in the main Hall. Semesters here are a bit difference as South African students are in their last semester of the academic year while we are just starting it all off back home. It's definitely an interesting time to be here because when we say goodbye a lot of graduating students will be doing the same. Thus, it was really a time to "Celebrate Good Times" for all of us and it was a pretty perfect theme for the event.

Right after we finished up the Hub meeting on Friday night a good amount of people stayed late to help get decorations put together for the formal the following evening. Not gonna lie, I honestly wasn't much of a help but loved getting to see it all come together.
Janelle and Neteska!

 The following night a group of us girls all got together to get ready together, and that in itself was a 'jol.'

Though the rooms and I don't really look alike, I can understand why people say it in this pic hah


Lil miss Priscilla
The rooms and X


After arriving we got some pictures taken at a photo station and hopefully I will find where they have ben uploaded so I can add some more of the group shots. Anyways, for dinner we had Chinese food catered and it was so good. All of the guys were super sweet as always and made sure to serve the ladies at each of their tables.

y

Catherine!
Every person should know Janelle, it's as simple as that.
photo cred: the Student Y
This girl right here is Mumsies. There are few words for her level of awesome. But really.
photo cred: Phatiswa. 

Right after we finished up dinner they gave out their traditional 'Y Awards' that had been voted on through secret ballot for the last couple of weeks. At the Y there is a ladies small group called WOW and one for all the guys called Iron Men. Some of the awards were related to these activities as well as those most fitting for specific personalities.

My lovely date (or 'partner' as many prefer to call it) for the night was this incredible girl below! (This is Tee and she is to the Y as Jess Hites is to Pulse. Any of my Pulse peeps keeping up with this would appreciate this little fact :) ) If there would have been a Y Award for most attractive couple in attendance, I'm sure we'd have taken the cake Tee!



And then the party really started when the music began. That night I finally had the chance to sokkie! Sokkie is an Afrikaans dance much similar to swing dancing, so it definitely brought me back to our Cru/Young Life nights out. The footwork is quite different so I can't say that I actually learned how to sokkie properly, but it was a great time nonetheless. Hopefully soon I can visit a sokkie dance hall for an entire night practicing my non-existent skill. We also got down to some of the great classics and I'm sure I embarrassed myself one too many times. 


I am so proud of myself for hanging in there until the last song, which wrapped up somewhere around 12:15 am. By then I was already half asleep, but I managed to keep myself awake for some of the classics near the end. Even better, we finished off the night in a large circle arm in arm to "I Can Be Your Hero," a memory I will always smile back on. I've still got just over a month so I'm trying not to count down the days but celebrate with them as they go on by. Love these guys so much, what a perfect evening.

1 comment:

  1. Sonia - you are truly a beautiful lady. Beautiful, Wonderful and Awesome pictures. Be ready to teach all in Colorado how to "Sokkie". :-) FYI - DenverUnited has moved to their new location.

    ReplyDelete

If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)