Thursday, October 17, 2013

shawco kiddos

I have had the privilege of getting to work with some of the most awesome kids over the past three months. Though I've quickly mentioned it a few times on the blog this has become a dear part of my experience here in Cape town and I don't think this trip would be the same without it.

I volunteer twice a week tutoring through one of the societies at UCT called SHAWCO. From what I hear it is actually the largest society in the university, catering to several hundred students from primary ages to the senior level. As tutors we have the opportunity to work with little ones all the way up to acting as educational mentors for older students with the development of life skills and finding ways to manage the realities of life (as many of these students encounter violence and gangs at an increasingly young age).

The first project I joined is called KenSmart, held for three hours each Friday afternoon. It is not like most of the other Shawco Projects because its not held in an actual township, per se. The kids come from nearby schools in the town of Kensington, which does not blatantly look like the 'typical' township communities. Nevertheless, many situations for these kids are very similar though not as easily visible, and education is truly the mechanism for many of them to be able to hope for better circumstances in their adulthood.

KenSmart offers tutoring at the more advanced level for grades 10, 11, and 12. If I am remembering correctly, we offer services for physics, mats, another science perhaps, and then accounting. As an accounting major I thought I'd be most necessary here, and it would probably demonstrate if I actually know what I'm doing haha (each day had its own struggles).

Creeping on two of my girls, they look like studious individuals but they're ridiculously hilarious.
I really did enjoy tutoring accounting because, though extremely draining after two hours, I was able to really dissect the material and I oftentimes found that explaining 'why' particular accounts operate in a certain manner really does make it so much better than simply memorizing. Many of the other Shawco Projects will easily have 40+ students coming for sessions but KenSmart is always much smaller, and we have an average of 8-10 total. There were probably 6 of us tutors who showed up on a regular basis so it was surely a hands on approach with the kids. And can I just say these kids are brilliant. Seriously I didn't learn any accounting material until my second year of university and these are high school sophomores who showed me up from time to time. So bright!

I did not initially plan to join Masizame as I made working with older students my first priority. I didn't think it would be as plausible to volunteer twice a week might be with the course load I'd be taking, and yet, this has easily been one of the best parts of this journey here in Cape Town. I get to work with some of the most precious, and rough, and witty, and tenacious six grade boys and I couldn't be more happy to see their faces every week.


Above is the boys' classroom we spent the majority of the time 

They try to act much too cool when they pose for a picture hah
The rooms being cute as always. She has worked this project with the girls class.
What a stunner. Look at that smile.

Gonna miss this laugh and that dimple. These last several months have been the greatest blessing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)