Thursday, September 26, 2013

heritage

Tuesday was a South African public holiday, Heritage Day. And as I learned from the most recent public holiday (Women's Day), these holidays are enough to have the day off! It was almost detrimental in a sense because the day didn't feel like a random break in the week as much as it felt like an actual weekend, so going back to school the next day was tragic.

Nevertheless, Heritage Day is a day to celebrate all types of Heritage. There certainly isn't just one type of South African, so this day does well to welcome in all sorts of culture. My program had a braai that afternoon and it was so great to get to see everyone. It's so strange because though we all live together I actually don't get to see them quite as much. Good to chill with my Interstudy family enjoying some braai necessities: chicken, sausage, and lamb! Good stuff right there.

Later on that night some of our dear friends (from the Y) invited us over for dinner! Theoretically we were going to eat some local dishes, but spaghetti found its way onto the menu. Who said we can't celebrate Italians instead eh? And not gonna lie, dinner was just perfect enough. 


This is the fantastic Xacvier, aka "X." Love this girl so much.
And here is the roomie with Mosa on the right. There is so much sass in that one.
Brought some desserts with me, some chocolate cake and some banana bread because no celebration is complete without forms of chocolate and bread of course.


Though dinner was fantastic, we decided to complain about not having any traditional meals so Mosa brought out a fried snack from her culture, Mopane Worms. Welp. Can't say I was brave enough to try this one.  


This was honestly such a good night filled with so much food, laughter, insults, making friends with their neighbors, and teaching each other how to dance sokkie. When I first met Mosa several weeks ago I told her I was from America and she turned around and walked away. She then turned back and said we couldn't be friends because I'd end up leaving and breaking her heart. Welp, these guys are doing the same to me. Can't even begin to say how grateful I am to have made so many great relationships out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)