Sunday, September 22, 2013
lessons - session 10
1. This past week was so good and necessary. The relationships I've made here are more than I could ever ask for, I am growing so much and I am so content.
2. Let the record reflect that on Friday, September 13th (ooh, creepy?) I had my first milk tart (or "melktert" in Afrikaans, it is a SA dessert). We sat in a cold, dark room (power had gone out) and feasted like queens.
3. On the list of 'things to bring' for the Ignite overnight camp they listed torches. Later found that 'torches' are what they call flashlights.
4. The second you walk into a gathering someone goes to prepare tea, coffee, and another usually has biscuits to share. Our local friends asked us what Americans serve when we get together and it's saddening to think the first option is most frequently soda (though I don't even drink soda). I've had a tea addiction throughout college already, and I can honestly say I have had at least one cup of tea (usually 2-3 everyday) since the day I first arrived here.
5. Ironically enough, I am going to miss being called out and referred to as "America." It has a nice ring to it.
6. Here the letter "z" is pronounced as "zed." For instance, if someone were to describe an instance and say "We have to do x, y, z," they would literally say "We have to do x, y, zed. Confused me a bit in my stats class when we'd use z as a variable in optimization problems and I literally thought my lecturer was referring to a Latin or Greek term I had never heard of before.
7. Prayers for all of you with all of the Colorado flooding, especially for all of you in Boulder! Stay safe friends.
Labels:
weekly recaps
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I do remember that the British term for "Flashlight" is "touch light" - maybe the South African say "Torches" for flashlights. Cultures can be real fun to learn about.
ReplyDelete