The University of Cape Town is a beautiful institution, and easily
has the most diverse population I've ever seen. I don't even know the
statistics, and I'm sure I would wikipedia that, but you will see such a stunning richness in color that it
cannot easily be described with words. Dark, medium, light brown; pale; albino
(yes, even albino blacks). It has most everyone...except for a strong body of
Latin Americans, who knew.
Yet, even with such a diversity race still
has an impact on the student body. I have heard that the university communicated a strong liberal view for freedom back in the day under the apartheid regine. The white South Africans wanted an integrated schooling system where color did not dictate whether or not a student received an education from their institution.
And, now, twenty years later they have made tremendous achievements. Inside the classroom integration works out just well; and racial barriers do not seem to exist much. It's really an eye-opening experience sitting in a class of 200-400 students and hear each nuances in accent. That's when you know that this place, quite literally, brings together people from all over the world into an environment where students can really learn from one another's unique experiencesr. These voices greet one another and participate in class discussions without racial boundaries.
And, now, twenty years later they have made tremendous achievements. Inside the classroom integration works out just well; and racial barriers do not seem to exist much. It's really an eye-opening experience sitting in a class of 200-400 students and hear each nuances in accent. That's when you know that this place, quite literally, brings together people from all over the world into an environment where students can really learn from one another's unique experiencesr. These voices greet one another and participate in class discussions without racial boundaries.
I'm glad that I did wait to share this post as my first thoughts about the racial/social sphere were not as optimistic. Especially in my first week and a half
of classes, I was a little bit disheartened at what I saw. Though within the classroom it seemed to work out fine, it seemed as though the second students left a lecture hall there was a natural bee-line to friends (naturally). But it seemed like, for the most part, each cluster of students always shared the same skin tone. And this was not
just a black versus white thing; it was almost as though even the shades of
light brown versus dark brown versus olive tones primarily congregated as one; it wasn't as much a clear racial division as much as a clear division in color. And this
observation does seem justified as it relates to the very nature of
apartheid--that coloureds were kept separate from blacks in the same manner as
whites. So, historically speaking, this may be just one of the unfortunate results of a discriminatory system that is still so new in its healing process.
Fortunately, in these last several of weeks
I have been able to finally see the social integration so many of these students already demonstrate inside the classroom. Though there remains a general distinction between
social groups and color,. it is not far-fetched for different colors to be intermingled by any means. Social
integration is not out of the ordinary, but one would think there would be a little bit more dispersion with such greatness in diversity. But honestly, can't say that the US is much different. Perhaps it is just more
visible here because there is a fair representation of many races and colors.
On the other hand, I chatted with a second-year female
student from Cameroon (though studying at UCT full time) about life and we
stumbled upon race as many of my conversations always seem to lead. She told me
of an article that
was published in the UCT student newspaper, Varsity, that got a lot of
controversy upon its publishing. It was an interest piece where a student wanted
to evaluate the perception of race by surveying the dominant races of campus
(white, black, coloured, biracial, Asiaties, and Indians) to find their dating preferences when it comes to race. The question was somewhere along the
lines of 'which race would you prefer to date most if you could?' Whites won
the vote and overall preferred to date within their own race. It was among
"indian and blacks [that] were the only groups that found members of their
own race unattractive. They, and East Asians were ranked lowest." My
friend gave me a bit of the statistics of the survey, and blacks were the
lowest preference at a mere 8% of 'desirability.'
I'll point out that the survey methods of
the author's were not sound (surveyed 60 students within the six racial
groups, five of each gender) so it certainly lacked academic merit. Again, it
was merely an article in a student newspaper. Still, I was told this article
made quite a stir...it was even discussed over their local news stations, with many general citizens upset about the piece. I wonder if they were more angry about publishing the question in itself, or
the results that came out of it.
Still, the girl who told me this story was very clearly hurt to think she belongs to a race less desirable by other races, and, even more, less desired by those of her own race. How do you let a girl know her worth is greater than a statistic? Mmm. These are the kinds of things that aren't as often discussed when it comes to color.
Still, the girl who told me this story was very clearly hurt to think she belongs to a race less desirable by other races, and, even more, less desired by those of her own race. How do you let a girl know her worth is greater than a statistic? Mmm. These are the kinds of things that aren't as often discussed when it comes to color.
I suppose it's a bit of a blessing being a
black American in Africa because many of the people I meet are so willing to
confide such controversial topics because there is a sense of trust. In the
opposite side, however, I have many black SA speak to me in one of the native
languages. I've learned to just go with it so that's always a bit fun. Then you have the not so pleasant experiences; a while back I was also introduced to
a local contact through some American friends I had met. I noticed he was a bit puzzled at first when
I went to meet him; he later explained that when he was told there was an
American girl who would come and see him, he was not expecting me to be black... and there seemed to be a bit of disappointment. And then I think back during the first week when I had a few American students walk up to me
and ask for directions, but that one is always just simply awkward and funny at the same time. And yesterday, even after spending an hour chatting with an American girl I asked her where she was from and she mentioned her state, then quickly explained that it was in America-- I am fairly certain I still have an American accent, but I guess I'll let you all be the judge of that when I return.
Either way, it's unique being here because my experience is very different from the perspective of many of my friends, but it is a good experience nonetheless.
Either way, it's unique being here because my experience is very different from the perspective of many of my friends, but it is a good experience nonetheless.
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you wish to comment without registering you may use the anonymous option, however please leave your name in the box otherwise I have no idea who you are! :)